Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner - These Broken Stars

Entwined?
One of my friends recommended it to read. Without further questioning, I plunged into reading.

My lover
Hell nope.

Expectations
Well, I was simply impressed by its cover. I'm into this universe beyond our planet stuff. Stars are mesmerizing. I could stare at them all night. Go out and see yourself.

Intergalactic adventure
"I can’t help but wonder how many times over I would’ve died out here without Tarver keeping
me alive."
The stormy relationship of Tarver an 18-year-old war hero and Lilac the heiress of the flourishing LaRoux industry set off rather unsmoothly. They end up on an uncharted planet in the galaxy after the tragic downfall of the Icarus light-years away from their home. Lilac true to her ladylikeness stripped of the comfort she's used to could only rely on the Major who handles their misfortune practically. A real survivor.

Denying their apparent affection Lilac tries to get him out of her mind due to her overprotective father. During their way to the shipwreck in the hope of finding rescue ships, it's Tarver the classical hero figure is in charge of their two-member team. Despite his young age, he didn't merit his medals for nothing. If it weren't for him Lilac LaRoux the richest girl of the galaxy wouldn't make it. She's never experienced such harsh conditions of nature and soon she has blurry visions about the deceased haunting her. Nevertheless, Tavern keeps her alive and prevents her from going mad.

The desperation and lack of faith can be easily sensed while wandering on an unknown planet just the two of them. There's little chance anyone will come for them. It's more likely even Google wouldn't find them.
More and more questions are being formed in their minds. Why nobody shows up? Why are they the only inhabitants of the planet? Is Tarver going mad, too? Or there's a mysterious force underneath the brisk plain of this terraformed planet? It's most likely a higher form of intelligent life they have to deal with.

"You're dead"
"Hey, no need to rub it in.” Alec grins easily. “Happens to the best of us, T."

Observations
The story kept me in the dark for a very long time. I had no clue where it was going. However, I  wasn't too worried about their lives due to the sneak-peak fragments between the chapters which inflict they survived after all. Such a spoiler.
What I miss is the lack of conversation between Lilac and Tarver.
It feels like a never-ending journey consisting of almost-to-dies, freezing-to-deaths and am-I-going-crazy?s in a tense silence. It's nearly deafening. I miss you old exclamations, declarations, and negations! Come back to me, my dearest friends!

Out of action
It's all good and sweet that upon the impact of their abandonment Lilac becomes a better person, a survivor who doesn't care about her old, glinting, fancy world anymore but I'm not impressed by their relationship. I can't count on their cosmic love because it's everything but cosmic. And I know it because I don't root for them. Though I adore good love stories. It's more like dammit-we-stuck-up-here-and-you're-the-only-representative-of-the-opposite-sex-let's-kissing kind of thing. Wow, that's a statement!
Anyway. I've expected a little more excitement or mystery. Even though Lilac has been brought back to life miraculously after she bled out in Tarver's arms I still don't get the point. Yep, an intelligent life of an another dimension saved her life and preserved her. Yep, they returned home safe and sound. Yep, her father is a jerk. Big deal.

I wonder how it's gonna continue. However, it's probable I'd never known...

Out of place
It's really creepy with all the dead bodies lying around and the translucent fading copy of Lilac on top of it. I feel like I'll hear whispers filling my ears soon. I suppose my imaginary friends are more than enough;)

How I feel now
Haunted.

To sum up
I need a teenage-love story in the real world NOW!

P.S. I love the cover, by the way. A huge fat thank to the illustrator!

"For a moment the
image before us is frozen: our world, our lives, reduced to a handful of broken stars half lost in
uncharted space. Then it’s gone... Until all that’s left is us."



Songs recommended

Coldplay - A Sky full of stars
Axwell - Centure of the Universe
One Republic - Counting Stars
Starring
Can you imagine Dylan O'brian playing Tarver? The emotional side of the story would be acted out well, at least. As for Lilac, I'd give a chance to Molly C. Quinn a young charming and talented actress. She wouldn't need to dye her hair for sure.



Rating

2 out of 5
(Out of generosity)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Téma képeinek készítője: merrymoonmary. Üzemeltető: Blogger.