Kasie West - Split Second

To be continued...
"Most of my regrets have to do with things I didn’t do versus things I did.”
Addison's trust is broken once and for all by the treacherous betrayal of Duke and her best friend Laila who were making out behind her back. She doesn't know what to do especially after her turning point of almost-to-die. Still, she's gathering her scattered pieces. Nor she's in favour of searching her future again which does more harm physically than good. It does look like she's able to slow down time on top of everything. Despite her gift, she hasn't foreseen that coming. Does it mean her ability goes wrong without recognition? Is her mind irreversibly damaged?

Unfinished business
Addie spends her winter holiday at her dad in the 'Norm' world so as to leave her messy fake-and-finite-relationships behind for a while. Then bumm! As life gives the green light Addie and Trevor's way comes to a cross-road or more likely a round-about as they're circling around each other non-stop, incapable to hit the highway together. The good news is that they're stuck together in this new life as well, even though they don't remember what they have gone through in their other lives theoretically. Wow, that's pretty confusing!

Obviously what's meant to be always find a way...

"Trevor had some kind of hold on me, and I couldn’t figure out what."
"Why was I having such a strong reaction to him?"

Addie can feel a tangible bond between the two of them, something inexplicable feeling is gnawing on the edge of her mind as though she knew him from somewhere...it's as clear as daylight that love tends to overstep sheer logic and is capable of existing beyond space and time. It doesn't matter that she doesn't have a single memory about him but she has already lived this love once. Lack of memories doesn't erase feelings apparently.

"As I watched him drive away, I stood wishing I would’ve taken the other path."
Trevor is being suspicious concerning Addie's superpower. As a matter of fact, that's what makes a wedge between them. I wish she didn't wallow in the sea of would-have-beens and do-overs and actually take action to win her well-deserved shiny award. In the past, she may have chosen to save Laila's life but she has to bear the consequences. The consequences of not being able to repeat the past.
I have to admit the knowledge of certain future events isn't as cool as it sounds. But oblivion is much worse.
In the meantime, Laila, choked by compunction, resolves to learn how to expand her ability and restore Addie's memory. She owes her that much. It's time to bury the hatchet. Easier said than done. She invokes the aid of a supplier of illegal enhancing devices, Connor who's resistance to Laila's charm is quite surprising. She always gets what she wants. In case she doesn't, she is used to erasing memories and start over till she carries out her plan. It's not working with Connor however. His mind is impregnable. This out of the ordinary catches Laila off guard.

How come she is prone to show her vulnerability in his presence? She's the formidable-Laila-McMemoryEraser-who-doesnot-care-other's-feelings. Connor is no exception. The same rules apply. But do they if she can't help thinking about him all the time? Beyond comprehensible.

Life isn't about do-overs
Laila successfully restored Addie's memories which instantly brought a full-on, Trevor-delivered knockout. Now that she's fully aware of the One specifically put together for her, letting him drift any inch further is out of question.

She launches the “Operation Win Trevor Back" at full speed but while she's totally and irrevocably in love, Trevor just starts to get to know her. It doesn't happen the same way it did last time. To make things worse during her stay three meters above skies, the Compound is going after them not being sure how much Addie told Trevor about her world. To eliminate the smallest threat they take control over events. This time however she can't depend on a paternal warning but a complete swipe of Trevor from her life which she can concededly hardly bare, let alone accept it.

Fantastic Four
The Clairvoyant, the Memory Eraser, the Healer, and the Mood Controler form a league against the once-upon-a-time-believed-to-be-good Compound and prevent (their) world from falling into chaos. It's more like an action film really. Except for car races, there is the trinity of handcuffs, Matrix-stunts and kick-butts I assure you. Even I lost following tracks sometimes. You'd better read that part thoroughly.

Happy endings
To be frank, I favored the blooming romance of Laila and Connor over the bumpy relationship between Addison and Trevor. I justify myself with the reason of having lived their love with them in the previous book. (Like a crazy invisible third wheel) Besides, it sucks that Trevor simply likes Addie. Where's the oath of till-the-end-of-time,  the delicate words of eternal love plus the warm whispers of passion as the icing on the cake?...well, I could not find any of them, that's why my attention had to turn to the other Cute Couple (taking them on the pedestal) whose backstory is full of loss, regrets and the desperate need of each other. What else do we need really? They have earned their number one place.

“Can I come in?”
“Why?”
“Because I want to talk.”
He rolled his eyes and started to shut the door. I put my hand on the edge. “Because you need me, and I’ve never needed anyone more than I need you.”

Take it or leave it
The plot made me think of the choices we are confronted in life. It doesn't worth to mull over the chances we may or may not miss. We should probably make our best at choosing. Period.

“Thanks for choosing me, Addison.” - Trevor

How I feel now
Butterflies in the stomach. It rarely happens to me I can follow two love stories crammed in one book. It duplicates the excitement!

Rating
4 out of 5

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Téma képeinek készítője: merrymoonmary. Üzemeltető: Blogger.